Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerina View Post
Hi Joydee,

The article you referenced by Hooshmand does not recommend SCS for the treatment of CRPS.

Regarding the benefits of SCS for CRPS

“Usually the beneficial effect of SCS in management of CRPS is brief (a few weeks to a few months in more than 70% of patients)."

Regarding Complications

“The SCS can lead to a spread of pain from the original site to other parts of the body. The sesitization of the spinal cord by the SCS causes spinal cord sensitization in the form of myoclonic akinetic seizures.”

The most disturbing complication of SCS follows

“SCS can also cause disturbance of plasticity and causes rapid acceleration and deteriorations of CRPS to later stages of the disease. Another complication of SCS treatment is the fact that it stimulates the sensory neuropathic pain fibers in the spinal canal facilitating the spread of the disease."

Regarding SCS failing to halt the progression of CRPS

“Clinically, SCS may relieve the pain with the first few weeks or months of implantation. With the passage of time, the pain and associated vasomotor response recur."
Can you please provide the reference or link to this information?
Also, have you come across any positive info in all of your researching, beside the 'benefit' you mentioned regarding temporary relief?
Thanks
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote