View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

As long as you don't over do the baking soda... it is okay for temporary use. Using everyday may cause problems with acid/base balance in the blood.

GERD can occur when you have poor lining of the stomach. It also occurs with poor digestion. Gas build up will push gastric contents UP and cause the backwash of acid into the esophagus that we call heartburn.

When proteins are not digested well, they make gas in the intestines from the bacteria who ferment it and make the gas.

To improve the lining of the stomach and lungs (since you have that lung issue) ones needs to be consuming in the diet Omega-3 fatty acids. Flax oil and fishoil. I had terrible GERD over a decade ago... and it totally went away when I started to use these essential nutrients properly. (I have a severe hiatal hernia that makes me prone to GERD.)

Something better than baking soda that might work for you is Gaviscon. This product foams up and coats the lower end of the esophagus and protects it from burping, and reflux. It is unique and designed for this.
http://www.gaviscon.ca/

http://www.essentialsforlivingwell.c...n/default.aspx

Chocolate is a definite no-no for people with GERD. If you need to have a warm drink, I'd try peppermint tea. I use Bigelow brand and find it very soothing. It is not so acid like black tea.

Eating high fat content meals, will keep food in the stomach longer, and may aggravate GERD. So keep that in mind. Smaller more frequent meals are better.

Try these and see your doctor if you continue with severe problems. Any difficulty swallowing should be seen ASAP.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote