View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 12:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Some of my anxiety (free floating) is the most difficult to contain. But when it is specific, like my fear of heights, I make myself face it. Like standing as close as I can, safely, to the edge of a high cliff or going up on the roof with my hubby if he is working up there.

I use meditation more than medication if I can. Picture yourself in a large bubble with white light all around you. Breath deeply and long-don't let yourself hyper-ventilate. Focus on nothing but the light and the protective bubble.

If it's really bad (like now) I break up my valum into halves or quarters and use the meditation to get through until I am done driving or whatever and then take the other portion of the pill. A lot of times, I find myself chain smoking though.

If at home, take a warm shower.

OH, and I read somewhere that if you are starting to panic, hold your thumb in the thumbs up position and gently blow across it. It makes you focus on your thumb and your breathing. It kinda works, but it make me laugh more, so that is probably why it helps me.

And DUCT TAPE. It works. Tape that sucker down, love.

It's funny how I can deal with other peoples anxiety and just hold them till it subsides, but I have to work so hard on my own.