View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
However, many of your symptoms sound like low thyroid to me.
The Cold intolerance, tingling, PN symptoms, etc.

Also there is a condition called carcinoid, which is an elevation of serotonin in the body secreted by tumors in the GI tract. It causes episodes of diarrhea, and tingling flushing of the skin.
Doctors can test for this if they think of it...because it is considered "rare".
Thank you! Yes, I've wondered about my thyroid. When I was 17 I had half of it removed because I had a nodule on it that was pre-cancerous. Following the surgery and several times a year since then I have had my thyroid levels (TSH, T3, T4) tested and they have always remained normal so there's been no need to supplement. However several members of my family have autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's) so I always think of that. My levels were tested very recently (maybe 6 weeks ago) and were normal. I don't have a copy of the results though, and I know that some people say that the guidelines for diagnosing hypothyroid aren't sensitive enough. I am getting a referral to an endocrinologist (the appointment isn't until April 5) so hopefully she will be able to advise.

I do have PCOS and thyroid issues and insulin resistance (though not diabetes yet) so I bet the endocrine system is playing a role here... I just don't know what it is, and my doctors don't know either!

I've haven't heard much about carcinoid. I think it's a tumour of the adrenal glands? I imagine that could be investigated through an endocrinologist as well?

Thanks again for your ideas.
whitechinacat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote