View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Can't Urinate -- a new symptom -- help?

Well, I saw a urologist and he thinks I have some neurogenic bladder problems going on. I guess it is called dyssynergia. Essentially, the spincter muscle is in a spasm and I am unable to urinate well--hesitation, not emptying bladder completely, interrupted stream. What a bummer. Now I have a new MS symptom to add to the bunch. I've had it for months but it seems worse now.....have had UTI's here and there and thought that might be it but now I have a clean bill of health on the UTI and the problem remains or has really gotten a little worse.

Needless to say I'm a little freaked out by this. It seems that there are a lot more treatments and solutions for incontinence then there are for this problem. He said roughly 70% of MS patients have the incontinence and 30% tend to have dyssynergia.

Does anyone struggle with this? Have you found any useful treatments? I know the ugly word "catheter" has come up. I'm not at that stage yet but petrified, of course.

The other thing I wonder is, does this mean I have a spinal lesion now? When I first got diagnosed in Sept. 2007 they did brain and spine MRIs. Nothing showed on the spine. Should I now ask my neuro for a spine MRI?

Thanks all.
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (01-15-2012), tkrik (01-17-2012)