View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 11:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjg13 View Post
Of course I'm not a doctor, This is not advice, only my personal experience. I ended up with a plural effusion after they removed my chest tube. It took abut two months to resolve and it was very irritating, my body had to absorb the extra fluid. I'm a respiratory therapist and have seen what is called subcutaneous emphysema/crepitus from pneumothorax. Rice krispy feeling skin which is air trapped within tissues. The body will absorb that air. Just keep an eye on it to make sure its not progressing. As far as edema, watch that too, very important to pee. Call your doctor right away if your. Not urinating. Not trying to scare you but the extra fluid combined with no urination can case pulmonary edema. Also, Make sure you sleep elevated. The fluid will shift and cause shortness of breath if you lay flat. It takes a long time to heal, don't let your mind get you. Give yourself a chance and credit for such a huge surgery. I was still in the hospital on day 4. Move your legs and walk to circulate fluid, deep breathing will expand your lungs.
Thank you so much for your response...I feel much better knowing what to expect. Yes, I too have the crepitus and as I stated, the effusion. It feels like a pile of bricks got laid on my chest. I'm peeing pretty good, but the water seems to keep piling on. I'll go in again if it doesn't stop soon. I had congestive heart failure after giving birth 7 years ago, but have since been given a clean cardiac bill of health...but it's in the back of my mind as a possibility since I'm weakened from the surgery. Keeping a watchful eye...and knowing that I have a couple months of recovery from the effusion helps...I won't expect overnight healing. Such a blessing this board!
hollyjohnson71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (02-24-2013), astern (01-16-2012), Jomar (01-16-2012)