View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Just finished reading candlegirl's thread, recovery from spinal fusion advice. Very sobering posts. Am in total agreement with surgery being an individual's choice and only that individual. Having 2 doctors tell me that surgery is the only option, I do not expect anything encouraging from the neurosurgeon's appt. this upcoming Friday. It's what, after 1am now, I took the prescribed gabapentin for spasms 2 hours ago and spasms are so busy and numerous in my legs and feet there's no chance of falling asleep.

Somebody help here please...what's the best way to describe these nerve spasms to someone who doesn't have a clue? The best way I can is......imagine a bundle of hot wires that are unbundled, of different lengths, with different electrical capacities, all firing differently, ALL THE TIME. Not the best description. Can someone think of a more apt description so I can help someone who's asked understand?

Surgery petrifies me, but this is no way to live either. Can't carry groceries, pick up a gallon of milk due to pressure in the spine, vacuuming I do otherwise it won't get done and then I pay for it later, don't even carry my everyday purse due to weight, can't pick up a 6 pack of cokes, driving causes such pain I don't even want to get in the car, can't bloody function without drugs. Symptoms just get worse by the week, and living day to day in a chemical haze is the pits. If all conservative measures have been tried (they have for me) with no improvement or promise (or even hope) of improvement, then hold the door to the operating room open...... Personally, I'd rather take a chance on improving the situation than live in the situation as is.
seahorse02 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote