View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Yes, welcome to NeuroTalk,

Although I agree that you are exhibiting Post Concussion Syndrome, I disagree with nwsmith about the need for an MRI and EEG,

First, if the ER doc had a concern about a bleed causing your head ache, he would have order a CT scan right then.

An MRI is not of much value unless you are exhibiting severe symptoms. They would be a sudden onset of a severe head ache, loss of motor control, serious balance problems, vision disturbances and any kind of imbalance between the right and left side of your body.

Brain bleeds show up best by the third day and the best image for them is a CT scan. The resolution of an MRI is not fine enough to show the microscopic damage of a concussion. If you are not experiencing any type of seizure activity, I don't see why an EEG would be of value.

If the money and inconvenience is not an issue, there is no reason to defy the doctor's request. If you were to get an MRI, it should include a full set of images of your neck, especially your upper neck. Upper neck injuries from vehicle collisions often go undiagnosed until much later if ever.

Some doctors are very concerned about covering their liability issues. This can lead to unnecessary tests. Plus, there are a good many neurologists who don't diagnose anything that they can not image on an X-ray, CT, MRI or EEG tracing.

The week delay in symptoms starting is not uncommon. In fact, it is more common than not for mild to moderate concussions. After the impact, the brain will try to continue functioning with the damaged or weakened brain cells. After a week or so, the brain gives up on those damaged cells and lets them die. In some concussion patients, this late arrival of PCS symptoms can take up to 6 weeks.

As nwsmith said, you PCS symptoms will likely come and go. It can become like a roller-coaster ride. The things you can do to help are simple. Limit any stress in your life. This means quiet rest with minimal auditory and visual stimulation. Plan to have quiet rest periods each day.

Eat healthy. This means no caffeine or alcohol or MSG. Later, a single serving of alcohol or caffeine may be OK. B vitamins are good for brain recovery. B-6 and B-12 are the most important plus a broad spectrum of the normal vitamins and minerals. D3, Omega 3's and folic acid are also good for the healing brain. be sure to get a good dose of all of the anti-oxidants.

To help you understand your condition, watch the YouTube video series by John Byler called "You Look Great" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Xso...ature=youtu.be There are 6 segments that take about an hour total. Also, download the TBI Survival Guide at www.tbiguide.com It is full of great information.

Don't expect great things from the neurologist. It is rare to find a neurologist who has a good understanding of Post Concussion Syndrome.

If you are involved in litigation, check out www.tbilaw.com and its sister site www.subtlebraininjury.com.

And, don't have nightmares about the accident. Very few accidents explode in flames. I have extensive vehicle accident training when I was an EMT long ago. I have spent hours in cars helping get passengers out safely. In most accidents, you are safer to stay in the car until help arrives than fight to get out. Even today, I spend hours combing through auto salvage and auction yards and rarely see any vehicles that have burned as a result of a collision.

Feel free to ask any questions. There is lots of experience on this forum.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
themaidquit (01-16-2012)