View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 06:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hereditary neuropathy CMT question

I am hoping to hear from anyone that has CMT, although I know that that is only a small minority of readers here.
My diagnosis was delayed until I was in my mid forties, complicated by my family background. I do have a half sister who wore leg braces from childhood, but due to my Mother's persistent denial of who my real father was I did not connect this with my own symptoms.
I have three biological children. My oldest son, at 27, is having significant symptoms and I feel guilty. He is only home from China for a few weeks and does not have health insurance here, but he seems to need some kind of ankle bracing. He falls a lot and walks on the outside edges of his feet, rolling his ankles. His ankles have always been weak and he has preferred high shoes or boots since childhood. He is also 6'4" which does not help with any length dependent neuropathies. (I am 6'2"). He does not experience pain but is having pins and needles and bi-lateral carpal tunnel like symptoms when he plays the piano or video games. This was actually what sent me to the first neurologist who completely missed the significance of it. It took a podiatrist to spot the real issue.
How do you deal with the feelings that arise from watching your child develop a progressive disorder that you passed on to them? This is the same son who inherited Asperger's syndrome from me, so we are very close in a detached sort of way.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote