View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Your first visit will probably consist of a physical exam -- he'll probably look you over --- especially look over your injury site & range of motion, etc. He'll look at all your films & report & ask you lots of questions about your injury.

Then he'll probably discuss what he plans on doing "to" you, i.e. steroid injections (which *I* think are useless). I've NEVER had one that worked and I've had ALOT of them. And MANY people I've talked to have said the same thing. These injections are temporary too -- IF they work, they may last anywhere from one week to one year. But I have NEVER known ANYONE who had one work for a year. There is a limit to the number of injections you can have in a years time too. Also, if the first injection doesn't work, do NOT let the doc do another one cause if the first one doesn't work, the second one won't either.

Your BIGGEST concern should be pain relief. Make sure he KNOWS what you have taken in the past, and what has worked and what hasn't and the dosages. What works BEST are the opiates -- i.e. MS Contin, Oxycontin, Methadone, etc. Drugs for the burning-type pain caused by damaged nerves are Topamax, Gabapentin, Lyrica, Neurontin, etc. There are also muscle relaxers -- I can only think of a couple, such as Soma & Flexeril.

It's really best not to ask for specific drugs -- they tend to think you're a drug abuser when you do. Go figure -- I guess we're not supposed to read articles. But I would be ADAMANT about wanting PAIN RELIEF because you've been suffering for so long!!

I wish you the very best. I've been a chronic painer for more than 25 years, so I can sympathize with you. Please let us know how your visit goes, ok? God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote