Thread: The tightrope
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Unfortunately.......trying to choose words carefully, hoping that I'm gonna say this right.......there is quite a bit in the medical literature linking MGers to psychiatric "problems". It isn't "fair", or in my opinion, TRUE.....but, I sort of understand how the docs and the studies got this "impression". MGers are worse when stressed and better when calm. I can, for instance, "turn on a dime". I can go from not being able to sqeak out a single word to being able to say a full sentence. Wow, a WHOLE sentence!! NOT being sarcastic, here, REALLY!! But, to a doctor who is observing me, this MUST seem like I am NUTS!!

As previously noted, when I am calm, MG is bearable. When, I am upset, MG is bad -- and it is like the dog chasing its tail -- the worsening symptoms get me MORE upset, and I might "appear" hysterical. I'm sure that this would NOT put me in the best light in my medical practitioner's eyes. Is this FAIR? Of course NOT! Is this LIFE? Unfortunately, YES!

So, Southern Bell, if you are ASKING for an opinion........I would suggest that you willingly GO to a "professional" and "spill the beans". I think that the "professional", when given all of this overwhelming info, would, without a doubt, see that YOUR response to the situation was perfectly normal, reasonable, and SANE! And, I think that your acceptance of his advice would speak VOLUMES to your neurologist. Resistance, after all, sometimes just "bites us in the butt" -- and makes us look GUILTY, when we are, in fact, INNOCENT.

BTW, I'd be willing to bet that your neuro's office staff made a BIG DEAL about this -- probably someone with a lot of "pull" did a lot of tongue wagging and got him all stirred up.

Hope this makes sense.
sugrkiss (01-24-2012)