View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry to confuse you with my questions themaidqwuit. I was directing them to Mark since he knows a LOT about this stuff and what he said to you made me sonder more about the information he posted. (I've done a lot of reading myself, but I'm always grateful to be pointed in new directions for more information.)

The iicp I had was not found on the MRI I had six weeks after the accident. It's not always seen on MRI's.

IICP is increased intracranial pressure and it's considered by the experts in journals I've read to be a very rare symptom with concussions. It's pressure that won't go away and actually increases cyclically inside someone's skull and it usually only happens to people who have moderate or severe brain injuries and causes a lot of complications. Please don't concern yourself with it at this point in your recovery; like I said it's very rare.

There have been some studies that associate it with second impact syndrome - so be very careful that you don't hit, or shake your head too hard so you don't further damage your brain. Also they think that second impact syndrome can cause a quick death. But, a lot of experts wonder why iicp doesn't happen more with boxers since they are prone to getting multiple concussions in close proximity to one another.

I'm just trying to figure it all out myself, really. And that's why I asked Mark for links - if he has them.

Anyway, I had a lot of nightmares too, for months after the car accident I was in. They went away.

I'm 18 months out from the accident I was in that gave me the brain injury and I'm doing a lot better. The Dr.'s told me I would be all better within a few hours to a few days when I first went in and I kept getting worse and then they told me I'd be better within a few weeks and I still wasn't and I'm still not all better now. But I'm doing better than I was.

Over time you will most likely get a lot better too. Take care of yourself. Take it easy and rest as much as possible.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote