View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Yes, impaired glucose tolerance precedes diabetes, and that is when PN can start:

Carcinoid is a slow growing tumor of the GI tract. It periodically secretes high levels of serotonin, which can affect mood, and motility --most commonly causes diarrhea.

Doctors don't think of it right away... so it is up to patients to
ask for testing for it for any complex hard to diagnose symptoms, some of which you have. Not everyone has every symptom and that makes it more difficult.

A high A1C with normal fasting, suggests, high carb large meals.
So cutting back on sugars and starches and eating smaller portions may help that at this point. The A1C typically suggests high spikes after eating, which level out later, and may become actual low blood sugars. This swinging is what leads to the PN symptoms.

You might look at the gluten free diet just in case...the diarrhea is due to that. Going GF for 3 months and feeling better may be your answer. Some testing is not really accurate for some people.
Thank you again! I will read more about carcinoid and see if it looks like something I should suggest to my doctor.

I was considering going gluten free for a few months to see if it would make a difference. I will also be seeing a gastroenterologist in a couple months so I can ask about testing for celiac disease. I know some people without celiac disease feel better off gluten too.

I've heard that fasting blood glucose is the last to go up when you have IGT and are developing diabetes. Yes, I could certainly look at reducing carbs/sugar. My portion sizes are good, I think. I don't have a big appetite and I'm very thin so cutting down calories and portion size probably isn't necessary. But changing what I eat is certainly worthwhile. I have a relatively good diet (vegetarian plus fish, so I eat lots of veggies and fruit, nuts and seeds, beans and legumes, tofu, whole grains, fish, and some dairy) but I do often end up eating poorly if I'm out of the house and need to grab something quickly - then it's usually white flour and sugar in the form of a muffin or scone or something.
whitechinacat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote