View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 02:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

my pt suggested core exercises as being key to good posture...I am finding that in a well equippend gym that there are things I can do on very specific machines for abs, back, and obliques...but it was a lot of trial and error. The machine has to really isolate the muscle and not reguire me to tense up the neck and shoulders. I can push with my back or my legs, though.

For Abs i also do foam roller exercises...lay on it with your arms crossed over chest, activate abs, lift one leg at a time and use core muscles to keep you balanced on the roll. I can't do anything where I have to lift my head and support it with my neck...hurts way too much.

I do one legged bridges for gluts

For shoulders, I do the kind of pushups where you lay on your side propped up on one elbow/arm (whole forearm on the ground) and use your arm/shoulder to push your body up. Legs stay on the ground. It is a very small movement and I only do a few (started with 5, now I do 10) at a time per side. Trap and neck spasms can make it hard to sink onto my shoulder.
If this description isn't clear, it is sort of like a shoulder shrug... sink down into a shrug, push up out of it, but on your side.

I can't do treadmill...and I have to do bikes/glider/elliptical/stiarmaster on low speed with high resistance because the bouncing bothers my neck.

Interestign to hear what everybody does. Hope to hear more form the rest of you

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote