Thread: The tightrope
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Well, I had my three month appointment the second week of January and my neuro's attitude was quite cool. He pulled his chair close to me and for the first time said that there was nothing that he could do to make me better and cure me (something I'd already figured out). He also said that maybe I needed to find a professional to talk to because I'm angry, upset about my life change, etc. Well DUH! This is something that we'd talked about for two years but because I caused a fuss about my prescription during his vacation I feel that he is dismissing me as a patient.
I may of course be wrong, but I think you may have misinterpreted what he said.
To me it sounds like he was trying to be honest with you about your condition. He was also acknowledging how hard it is to deal with this emotionally, and felt that he may not be the right person to help you with it. I don't think he was very sensitive in the way he did it, and possibly made you feel his own frustration with the situation, but it doesn't sound like he was giving up on you or dismissing you as a patient.

Many physicians find it hard to discuss the limitations of medicine. They don't realize that even when there is no further pharmacological treatment there is still a lot you can do. They see their patient's (normal) emotional response as anger at them.

If I were you, I wouldn't discount two years, just because of one less good day. Physicians are just people. they too have their own emotions, frustrations and sometimes just a bad day.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jana (01-17-2012)