View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I believe one of the biological mechanisms of exercise induced circulation benefits is release of nitric oxide at the vascular level. The body signals this when it needs better blood flow.

Chemo damage is mostly at the cellular level...the mitochondria of cells which make energy. If the mitochondria of the blood vessels are damaged, they may not respond to exercise the same way non-chemo patients may.

But the general benefits of moderate regular exercise are well known to improve health, and control blood sugar, and improve circulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grete View Post
You might have noticed that I posted the first reply to this exercise question.Thank you for your interesting and informative reply. I would really like to understand in what way exercise helps PN (in my case small fiber neuropathy in both feet from cancer) so could you please clarify a couple of issues:

1) You say, "exercise to tolerance tends to improve ...". I wholehartedely agree. I assume you mean exercise to tolerance with e.g swimming for people who can't walk etc. I gather you don't mean exercise on your feet to tolerance e.g. running - if your feet get so sore and painful that you're in agony for days after your jog (?)

2) A. You say, "anything that improves circulation, as exercise certainly does, tends to help move nutrients/oxygen into the nerves". I would be very interested to learn how and why this happens. Would you be able to give me a link or reference to a study/paper which explains this? B. Would a TENS machine also improve circulation and move nutrients or is it only fysical exercise that does the trick?

Thank you.

Regards,
Grete Cooper

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote