View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

While we're talking about herbs and "natural supplements," I just want to mention huperzine. I've seen it recommended as a "natural" treatment for MG. What people need to understand is that an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor,* whether it's "artificial" like Mestinon or a "natural supplement." If you take huperzine while you're taking Mestinon, that's like taking more Mestinon.

As I hope everyone here knows, too much Mestinon can make you weaker, and really too much Mestinon can put you in a cholinergic crisis. A cholinergic crisis looks very much like a myasthenic crisis, but requires the opposite treatment. If you were in a cholinergic crisis, but the doctors didn't realize you'd been over-dosing on acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, they might treat you with more Mestinon, which could kill you.

I saw a chiropractor on YouTube recommending huperzine for his myasthenic patients as if it were just nutritional support, without mentioning Mestinon. This is extremely irresponsible, since most MG patients are already taking Mestinon. He could kill someone.

Now, about raspberry leaf tea: I used to drink it while I was pregnant with my first baby. I can't believe that it's a strong enough acetylcholinesterase inhibitor to cause much trouble, or I would have noticed side-effects. I'm so glad that it is helping you, DesertFlower! Maybe it keeps your acetylcholinesterase inhibitor levels steadier, or gives you just the right dose, or is easier to metabolize--who knows. I'm just urging caution to anyone who experiments with such things (not you, DesertFlower--I know you're being careful), because one of the problems with herbs and "supplements" is that their interactions with the drugs you're already taking probably haven't been studied.

I think everyone here must know all of this already. I was just so indignant with the chiropractor on YouTube and his irresponsibility.

Abby
*I'm just showing off how I can spell that
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (01-19-2012)