View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default where do they get their reliable information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt View Post
Placebo effects have ethical consequences for this forum.

The larger the placebo effects are the more careful we need to be when posting information that conflicts with the belief that other people have in the efficacy of their actions.

Taking a wide definition of the words, even a post reporting some research can, itself (i.e. the act of communication), be considered either a placebo or a nocebo. By extension, I would argue, the forum itself acts partly as a placebo.
I'm certainly not suggesting that people only post good news. Not least because the placebo effect is enhanced by credibility, which would be reduced if we followed such a road.

Where do we draw the line?

John

That's a good point John, but if the trial investigators have not leveled with them about the intensity of the placebo effect in the informed consent or if patients haven't educated themselves, who knows what would happen? That's why we are so against the way they do trials, especially sham surgery. And why we educate about the possibilities. it's deceit.

But we could be influencing their results, altho I' m not sure in which direction.

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 01-17-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: accidentally put "It's deceit" in John's post so moved it
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote