View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Banned User

15 yr Member
Banned User

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
I use yoga, cardio (treadmill, stairmaster, walking) and lower body machine weights to help control pain levels. (In addition to hot baths, massages, and restricting computer time of course.) I agree that increased blood flow/endorphins are key elements!

I have been wanting to strengthen my upper body but am afraid to--am afraid of flareups. There are some interesting suggestions here (e.g. performing light weight lifting exercises in the water or while lying on your back). I noticed that biceps curls were mentioned, as well as exercises to strengthen the mid-trapezius and rhomboids. Can anybody share more specific information about which exercises they have been able to perform successfully without inducing flareups? (For example, what could one do in addition to bicep curls, performed very carefully of course.)

Thanks!
For back strengthening I do cable rows and any "row" type machine. Not necessarily "rowing machines" WATCH FORM...do not let shoulders roll forward...that is the key. Ask your PT. He/She should agree that you must force the back muscles to HOLD the shoulders back. This is what will strengthen the back to hold them naturally in that place (if that is your problem...it is mine). Watch any exercise or movement where you bend over or forward as this MAY cause you to roll those shoulders forward. You MUST understand the concept of rolled forward shoulders to understand WHY this causes flare ups. OPEN the chest will help too. Opening the chest causes the sholders to go back. Walk this way, stand this way and eventually you may see and feel improvement. I used bi cep curls only to show an exercise that doesn't appear to be problematic but because of the anatomy it CAN be problematic...it literally PULLS down on the coracoid process....LOOK at the anatomy.

The arm push up may also be problematic. I was told, and by experierence it seems true, that any WEIGHT BEARING on my arms/shoulders is going to be problematic because my body defensively will shoulder roll forward. Not good.
noname is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote