View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=glenntaj;842055]--about improvements in nerve function from exercise, or from certain supplements, do focus on the nitric oxide connection Mrs. D mentions, in that nitric oxide has a vasodilating effect.

One of the best places to read about this are in the papers of Dr. Aaron Vinik, who is one of the world's leading researchers into diabetic neuropathy, especially small-fiber versions, and who has described the nitric oxide pathways numerous times. I still have one linked in the Useful Website "Stickies" at the top of the board, I believe, and here's a very technical one that talks about it from the viewpoint of skin perfusion:

Here's another that gets into why increased ischemic flow is important for healing/nutrifying, and why exercise is important for that (and why diabetics have problems with blood flow):

And here's a HUGE overview associated with Endotext, a series of on-line endocrinology texts:

Thank you,

I failed to mention in my posting that my small fiber neuropathy is a result of Waldenstrom lymphoma - a rare leukemia and lymphocyte cancer affecting the immune system. To clarify: my PN is not a result of chemotherapy although I know this to be quite common. Mrs D mentions that "Chemo damage is mostly at the cellular level..." and I know this to be true. Anyway, I am not in that category. My fault not to be more precise.

The links give a good overview of the role of Nitric Oxide (NO) during exercise and its effect as a vasodilator to improve circulation. If I am not mistaken none of this really answers my PN question – it is all about exactly how exercise affects circulation. That is interesting in itself of course!

Did you know you can get NO supplements – some weight trainers and other athletes use them to improve circulation!!

My hope is that I never get so desperate that I go down that route!

Again thank you,

Grete
grete is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote