View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw31705 View Post
Hello all, I am new to the forum, but not to pain. I am 33 years old and have suffered with migraines since I was 8 years old; I actually can remember the first one I had. I have been on so many medications my stomach is in a mess; not to mention I also have a chronic pain disorder. I finally decided about 4 years ago that I would bite the bullet and go on something that I would take daily for the headaches after suffering with one for 3 months. I began taking Topamax daily and Maxalt as needed; this seem to help control them and the dosing was adjusted as needed. After a while I begin to experience dizziness for some unknown reason and my primary placed me on Antivert. This freaked me out because I didn't have an ear infection or anything. I did notice that my ears always hurt and felt full causing my to want to stick something in them. As time passed I began to have the bad headaches again, but this time I had to go to the ER. I haven't had to go to the ER for a headache since high school so I was like what's going on. The back of my head began feeling like someone was stumping on it around the clock. I had a CT and it was normal. A few months later same thing migraine for days vision disturbances, nausea, vomiting, back of the head hurting like someone is stumping on me. I had another CT normal also. I started noticing that my vision was getting worst and I could no longer see to drive at night. A couple of months later I started have numbness in my hands and arm; the back of my head and neck also were in terrible pain. I went to my Neurologist and he ordered a C-spine MRI. This showed that it was normal other that I had a cerebellar tonsilar ectopia at the foramen magnum 8mm I believe it said. Now is were it gets interesting. I am a nurse in the operating room and I went to the hospital were I work to the medical records and got a copy of the report before my appointment because I was curious. I panic and had one of the neurosurgeons look at it. He explained it to me a little, but wanted to wait to see what my physician would say how about that jerk wasn't going to mention it; he told me my MRI was perfectly normal. I was shocked. I had to tell him that I had seen it and that I was not doing well; he ignored me told me it was congenital and I would be fine. I have since then had a headache everyday, I see what I call matrix like vision; more than doubles. I also have ringing in the ears. I just do not know what to do or what is wrong with me. The back of my head and neck hurts constantly; I can't even see to drive at night anymore. I can't tolerant loud sounds and the slights chirping sets me off. I just need to know should I be worried.
Dear Lost,
I'm sorry you are going through this. From what it sounds like you have a lot of the classic symptoms of Chiari. I know that it can be scary. I had THE EXACT SAME THING happen to me. My doctor (neurologist) had been treating me for 15 years for migraines. I then had a blinding headache where I felt like someone had sat on my eyes and I couldn't see. Felt like every tooth was going to pop out of my mouth and like my head was going to blow off my shoulders. He admitted me to the hospital and I was there for 7 days while he ran a battery of tests. They all came back "normal" other than my previous dx of pseudo tumor cerebri. Anyway for months he kept trying to pump me full of medications until I couldn't take it anymore. I ordered his office to transfer all of my records to another neurologist down the street from him. When I went to my first appointment with the new neuro she said "I'm sure Dr Michael told you but you have a brain malformation and you need brain surgery." Needless to say I was beyond angry. And scared.

I still don't have many answers, other than the ones I've found for myself. I'm currently going through a huge frustration with doctors and think I may be replacing my PCP of 25 years. It is hard when you don't have the doctor support that you need. But I keep trusting that it's out there for us Chiarians. It's one thing if you opt for the surgery. Because there are always docs who want to cut you open. But to find a doc who will treat the symptoms until you decide to have the surgery is a rare find. One thing I will tell you is that you HAVE to be your own advocate. Research until you can't take any more info. When you speak to the doctors speak with confidence. Because, unfortunately, in most cases we as Chiarians DO know more than the average doc.

Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!
brainab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote