View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

One more thing - bit of a bombshell I'm afraid!

It also sounds to me like you should not be at work, or at the very least doing reduced hours/duties. It took me a while to work that out for myself as well. It's possible to function at a substandard level for a little while with those sorts of symptoms but by doing so you're making your brain work far too hard and really hindering recovery, especially in a stimulating environment like a kindergarten.

I kept trying to go to work until I couldn't have a proper conversation with someone, and even then it was my manager, not me, who decided I should take some time off. I lost all insight into my own ability to function, but when the decision was made for me it was such a relief.

How good a teacher are you going to be if you "can't finish sentences or thoughts"? Are you going to be consistently capable of even looking after the kids and keeping them safe? I work in an adolescent mental hospital, and I kept trying to work even though I could not think clearly and was not capable of being sure I was keeping the lads safe. Luckily nothing terrible happened.

This forum is full of people who kept struggling to work because we didn't want to make a fuss or felt that we needed the money. In the end the PCS doesn't give you a choice. (By the way I am back at work now - I'm not for a moment saying it needs to be permanent).

Again I'm not wanting to be harsh or criticise - you sound just like I did, and these are all things I wish I had understood sooner.

Very best wishes!

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
themaidquit (01-18-2012)