View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 02:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't know exactly what your vision issues are, but I have experienced a few of issues with my own vision during my recovery.

Mostly I've seen a lot of floating type lines and spots as well as it took extra, extra long for my eyes to adjust focus. The optometrist and ophthamologist both said that my eyes were fine, but that my brain could not process the information as fast as normal. It has gotten better but I don't think it's as fast as it once was, but I'm still hopeful that it will continue to improve.

(I also experienced some other visual symptoms, but I think that was due to having iicp and they haven't returned since I had a spinal tap that relieved it about a year ago.)

I used to do yoga and I'm not able to since the accident I was in, but I hope to improve physically so that I will be able to again someday.

Yoga is a very calming exercise, but there are a few different kinds of yoga and some are more calming than others. I recommend a type called Iyengar Yoga for a more calming effect. With Iyengar Yoga the practitioner holds the stretch for a longer period, and in doing so, lets go of any tension held in the body. Some other kinds of yoga are super fast and more like aerobics, and a lot less relaxing.

To lessen the anxiety you are experiencing, I would recommend that you remember that school is not a race. It doesn't matter when you return, so let go of "when" and that will probably help you to return sooner.

It takes energy to feel anxiety and it takes mental energy to worry. Your energy is currently limited because your body is trying to heal whatever needs to be healed in your brain. If you are able to reason with yourself, it might be a better choice for you to try to relax and accept that you are going through this, and that it's going to take as long as it takes and any amount of anxiety or worrying might make it take longer because it will take energy away from your healing. I think there have also been studies done that prove that people heal faster when they are more relaxed and optimistic. (Trust me, I know it is easier for me to say this, than it is for someone to practice it - I know from personal experience! But do the best you can and be ok with that.)

There are also supplements like Passionflower that may help you to reduce the amount of anxiety that you're experiencing. Make sure it's ok with your Dr. to take something like that, though, in case it may contradict a medication you're on.

Remember: A brain injury is a very complex and unique thing to each individual experiencing it and so is the path to wellness. Jut because yoga works for some, doesn't mean it will work for everyone. So you might want to try something else.

Have you considered doing Tai Chi instead of yoga? That can also be a very calming practice much like yoga is.

Drawing or coloring may also help you relax. Or keeping a journal - there are a lot of technologies to help with journaling now - you can record your voice instead of just writing stuff down.

I have been seeing a therapist to help me deal with the anxiety I've had since the accident I was in. It's very surprising to me to realize how much talking with someone for an hour a week helps me feel so much better!

If your brain can handle it, you might also consider learning how to meditate. I used to meditate regularly before the accident I was in and because of the injury I acquired I wasn't able to for about a year and a half. I have just recently been able to start meditating again and it has been helping me feel better emotionally.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hana (02-08-2014), Johnhogan1010 (02-08-2012)