Thread: Imuran
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, hopeful, welcome. We may not have the same symptoms, but most of us here know what it's like to have a debilitating mysterious disease that the doctors have trouble diagnosing.

I'm on Imuran (azathioprine). I've been on it for about nine months. Here are some things I know about it.

Before you go on it, you should have a blood test to make sure you don't have a genetic inability to metabolize it. It's a rare condition, but it would make Imuran toxic for you. The test you need is called a TPMT test. Here's a detailed explanation: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1829596-overview

While you're on Imuran, you should have regular blood tests--blood count and liver panels, I think--to make sure it's not causing dangerous side effects. You will need blood tests pretty often at first, maybe once every two weeks, and then less often if you seem to be tolerating it. Watch out for unusual bruising, or fevers.

I haven't noticed any side effects from Imuran, except perhaps slightly decreased appetite for a few weeks, which went away. Another member had a much worse experience with it and lost way too much weight.

For myasthenia gravis, my doctor said to expect it to take between six and fifteen months to decrease my symptoms. I haven't noticed any improvement yet.

The label of my drug bottle says to wash my hands after touching the pills, so as not to touch the inside of my nose or the corners of my eyes with fingers that have pill residue on them.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (01-19-2012)