View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
More than one person on these forums has had dizziness caused by TOS. I believe that in at least two of those cases in the last year, people have reported that their doctor (probably vascular MD) told them that their subclavian artery (or arteries) were so backed up that their vertebral arteries had reduced or stopped blood flow as well. This sounds like you.

PT is tricky. Some PTs understand TOS and do good soft tissue work. Most do not.

From what I've read, it's fairly common for people with cervical ribs + ATOS to get the surgery to free up the circulation, plus any scar tissue or fibrous tissues resulting from your injury.

My own dizziness was resolved with highly skilled PT, diazepam for muscle relaxant, posture improvements and time. However, my source is RSI and chronic muscle tension, not injury, and I do not have cervical ribs. You may very well need something different than I needed.

HTH
Thanks so much for reply. This site is such a great support. Do you think that I should be seen by vascular consultant with regards to my ultrasound results? I elected to get this test done myself due to dizziness and to show that there was definite compression of arteries as I was being told by own doctor that pulse disappeared on arm elevation while thoracic consultant did not find this and said there was no evidence of arterial compression. he immediately dismissed me when I metioned dizziness.
i really want to try physio but am concerned that due to arterial compression that I could in fact cause more damage without first removing these extra ribs??

So confused. I live in ireland and feel that the expertise is not here and that they will wait until there is serious unreverseable damage before considering surgery. I feel that over here it is not a preventative approach that is taken. I was not told how long to give the physio to see if there is relief from symptoms which is strange. Also I have rang a number of physios and some have never heard of cervical ribs and most have never dealt with TOS.

Thanks so much for your support.
mcduane_ie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote