View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 03:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduane_ie View Post
Thanks so much for your reply. Did your doctor recommend the operation or was it following unsuccessful relief from symptoms using conservative methods first. My doctor feels that physio will not help as the cervical ribs arent going anywhere. how was your arterial thoracic outlet syndrome diagnosed. Did you have angiogram or doppler ultrasound.

i live in ireland and I get the sense that there have not been many thoracic operations over here and hence the reluctance to even consider this. However i dont feel that they are taking my symptoms seriously and they keep telling me dizziness has nothing to do woth TOS which is contary to what I am reading on web.

Thanks
Hi there, first of all.. hope you are well

Op was recommended by the surgeon due to thrombosis risk but ultimately the decision to go ahead was mine. Basically the risk of a thrombosis was enough said!!!!
My venous and arterial compression was picked up on both Doppler and Angiogram tests so as far as I was concerned action was needed to be taken.
However initially it was after a visit with a physiotherapist who did the Roo's and Adsen's test on me and picked up that I had the telltale " white hands"..... No bloodflow or radial pulse in various positions.
Can I just mention that prior to this appointment I had been backwards and forwards to my GP's who had made no connection what soever with my collection of symptoms that I had mentioned to him for over 5 years.
Unfortunately my TOS life is not over despite the op as I have ongoing issues with skeletalmuscular stuff in the thoracic region and neuro stuff too...... but on a positive note..... no arterial compression on my right side. It's just a bummer that I suffer venous compression on both sides, so eventually my left side will need doing.
At the moment I'm trying to concentrate on post op recouperation before undertaking another op. Obviously if I experience serious probs with my left side than I will get it done.... sharpish!
I do not have cervical ribs but my space there is still tight and needing freeing up. Apparently on my first op, everything was taken... the whole first rib and some extras. Technically my artery and vein on my left side should be laughing.......all that space!
Anyway..... regarding your doctors comments of TOS and dizziness not linking--------- Just show them this forum. Plenty of us can vouch for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me personally..... I think that they are 100% wrong and ignorant to say that to you.
It's a VERY real connection.
Stick to your gun's when explaining your symptoms.... you know better than anyone what you are experiencing.
Test yourself, if you feel the mentioned symptoms like fatigue or get white hands than I suggest you see a Vascular consultant.
Do the Roo's test, click on the youtube link below.... apparently you should be able to pump your hands for 3 minutes ( I DON'T THINK SO! Not if TOS is in question)
Click on the image on the top left hand corner.
http://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/sea...ff&fr2=piv-web

BEST WISHES mcduane, keep strong!

Last edited by SD38; 01-20-2012 at 04:09 PM.
SD38 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote