View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigipatrick View Post
I believe we as patients sometimes need to wake these doctors up because they do become complacent and without a teaching facility inclusive, they forget certain issues remain pertinent and are not to remain in just textbook ideology.
Well, it's not exactly like doctors just get their sheepskin and never have to hit the books again. Most states require doctors to complete a certain number of hours of continuing/supplemental education each year in order to maintain their credentials/licenses; how much can vary depending on the state and specialty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continu...ical_education

For more info./examples, Google: doctors continuing education

I think of my doctor/patient relationships as team efforts; we listen to and learn from each other. The thing is that, in addition to learning medicine, doctors also learn (and practice) a particular way of thinking, and it's enormously helpful if/when patients learn how their doctors think so that we're not constantly butting heads or at odds, and so we can help them help us more effectively.

HINT: There is a book entitled How Doctors Think (which I think is a good book, but it tends to predominate searches). To get around that, Google: how doctors think -groopman
The book was written by a Dr. Groopman; placing a minus(-) sign in front of his name tells Google to ignore pages that contain that word/name, which should eliminate most of the pages pertaining to that book.

I've also found it helpful to just have a conversation with a doctor to find out what kinds of documentation/evidence they prefer. Most are more open-minded than we think (or than they used to be) once we know their preferences/rules/way of thinking/doing things.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-24-2012), seahorse02 (01-22-2012), vigipatrick (01-23-2012)