View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 02:30 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Lightbulb sharing a letter from my sister -

"Nerve Cells Differ Most at the Molecular Level"
(This is from an email from my sister who lives in France sent me) .

Dear Tena,

An anatomist with a PhD, whom I knew said to me while I was taking a class on autopsy findings - said that of the nearly one thousand bodies he had studied , (and he is the head of the anatomy department,) he said that there were some who should not have been able to be alive, yet apparently had functioned normally, but they were alive and should not have been.

There is a book called “Principles of Neural Science By Eric R. Kandel, James Haris (1932-) Schwartz, Thomas M. Jessell” - if you wish to study.

(Paraphrased) There are some neurons that do not fit the model of neuron signaling; which either have no axons, or such a short one that a conducted signal is not required. There are also neurons that lack a steady resting potential and are spontaneously active.
Quoted:
"... different ion channels provide neurons (and other cells too Tena) with various thresholds, excitability properties, and firing patterns. Thus neurons with different ion channels can encode the same class of synaptic potential into different firing patterns and thereby convey different signals."

(Tena, how are your potassium/sodium levels?)
See: hypoadrenia, positive paradoxical pupillary reflex, low mineralocorticoid levels. Some of your nervousness could be related to adrenals.)

"Neurons also differ in the chemical transmitters they use to transmit information to other neurons, and in the receptors they have to receive other information from other neurons...... a disease may effect only one class of neurons but not others......
Parkinson's disease, a disorder of voluntary movement, damages a small population of interneurons that use dopamine as a chemical transmitter. Some diseases are selective even within the neuron, affecting only the receptive elements, the cell body, or the axon.......
Despite the differences among nerve cells, the basic mechanisms of electrical signaling are surprisingly similar. This simplicity is fortunate for those who study the brain. By understanding the molecular mechanisms that produce signaling in one kind of nerve cell, we are well on our way to understanding these mechanisms in many other nerve cells."

I believe God is called "The Creator" because He is Creative !!!
Love,
Mimi

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote