View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My story

In 2006 I was having trouble identifying people. As they got closer to me my eyes started to close. I finished work early and drove home. As I was driving my eyes kept closing and I had to hold one eye open to enable me to get home. The following day my eyes returned to normal. Over the next couple of days I had double vision for short periods ranging from 30mins to 2 or 3 hours. I went to my GP who diagnosed eye strain. My syptoms had disappeared the day before I saw the GP.

Over the next couple of weeks my eyes would close and give me double vision at times. Driving had become impossible, traffic on the opposite side of the motorway appeared to be heading straight towards me. I was unable to judge distances.
At this stage my arms and legs were becoming very weak I had to hold my head up as my neck muscles were very weak. I had trouble getting out of bed. I went back to my GP and he sent me for several XRays and blood test. All the test did not show up anything...
About 3 weeks after the double vision I started to have trouble eating and swallowing. I was sent to emergency at the local Hospital. I underwent numerous test over a 10 hour period. The end result was the doctor had decided that my "Illness" was caused by stress. He kept haraunging me and my wife to find out what was causing my stress. I was discharged from the hospital after the Doctor had decided that I needed to see a Phyciatrist.

That night I tried to lie down in bed but each time I struggled to breathe. An ambulance was called and they checked me and came to the decision that I was in no danger and should see my GP the next day which I did . He could offer no suggestions and referred me to the outpatients Dept at the Hospital. The earliest they could fit me in was in 2 weeks. For the next 2 weeks I sat in a Lazyboy armchair and leaned on an ironing board to get some sleep. If I tried to lie down I stopped breathing I lost 14kg in that time.
After my visit to outpatients the only thing they came up with was that I had type 2 Diabetes.
For the next 8 weeks I was confined to the lazy boy chair and to eating mashed baby foods. I was again rushed to the hospital with breathing problems and put on Oxygen. They kept me in for a couple of days but could not find out what was causing the problems.
After another 2 weeks at home I was sent back to the Outpatients Dept. This time the doctor called another person into the exam room. It was a Neuro. He held a pen just on my eyeline and moved it up and then he pushed my fist down a couple of times. My eyes closed and I couldn't resist when he pushed my wrist down. I heard him say that it was a classic case of something or other. He then left and the doctor turned his computer screen towards me and said ' this is what you have" All I could see was a screen filled with lots of lines. I asked if there was any info available and he told me the only info was on the internet. He gasve me several MG Organisation to contact.
He then gave me a prescription for Pyridostigmine. The scrpt said to take 2 tablets a day.
The next day I took the tablet and I started to feel great at least for a few hours. I rung my GP and he found that the doctor in the hospital had put the wrong dose on the script. I should have been 2 tabs 3 times a day. I was almost back to normal once I had the correct dosage.
The Neuro who diagnosed MG deals with most of the cases in the area I live.

Since 2006 I have not met (other than on the internet) anyone else with MG. It is very rare here.
Seamusmac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote