View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 07:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy s View Post
Lloyd, good luck with your house sale. I always found it very nerve-wracking to have a house on the market and trying to keep it looking good all the time. When our three kids were little, and we were moving, we had a "rapid response" to a realtor's phone call - throw the stuff lying around in the washing machine and dryer, do a quick polish of whatever needed it, and take the kids downstairs to watch TV. It was too cold to leave the house every time someone came, so we'd try to make the quiet peaceful family scene as much out of their way as we could. When they would leave, it would be back to the evening routine of supper and bed-time.

I grew up in a big five bedroom log house that had hardwood floors everywhere but the kitchen and bathroom. My mom found them really easy to keep clean, but you couldn't get any liquid on them or it would stain - not like the great finishes available now. We would help polish them after a waxing by skating around with Dad's wool socks on - I don't think they had a polisher for a while.

No snow for three days - Yeehaw! 10 below freezing at night and five above during the day. Everyone is keeping a nervous watch on their basements, and listening for creaking roofs - the art gallery, a warehouse, and several farm sheds have had roofs cave in. We're just not used to so much snow.

Wendy, those were the days! When I was little we kids were employed in the floor polishing business by means of skating on very sophisticated dust rags, made by my grandmother in the shape of fish. That was the fun part - but I remember it was hard work removing the old wax to prevent built-up and then applying a fresh coat.
Teretxu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote