View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 05:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Is it all in my head?

Hi all!
I am brand new to this and in need of a little advice. I saw a lot of good information here and thought someone might be able to help.
Last February I had both my upper wisdom teeth removed. I really didn't want them out because they caused no real problem. However, the dentist said they were crowding my teeth and growing out into the sides of my cheek (sometimes cutting into my cheek if I wasn't careful). I regret relenting because I have not been the same since.
Since they weren't impacted there was no surgery. It went fine except the upper left one. The roots went deep. He had some trouble yanking it out and said he had to use some special technique. I was too numb to ask.
When I went home, as soon as the anesthetic wore off I started feeling congested, stuffed up and sick. I assumed I had caught whatever virus my fiance was suffering from at the time. But it got worse and the pain in my sinuses got to the point I thought my head was going to explode. I went back to the dentist. He took a quick look and said I had dry socket in, of course, the upper left cavity. He gave me some of that gelfoam stuff to pack it with and sent me on my way.
The pain in my mouth decreased but my sickness persisted. The congestion turned to coughing, fevers, and I even passed out a time or two. So I went to a doctor. I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis and given some steroids. Nothing changed so I went back and they gave me more steroids and a breathing treatment. I will say here that I have no medical insurance and went to an urgent care center where there was no examination except for a taking of the temperature and a look down my throat.
Eventually the coughing went away, the fever as well. But every day since I wake up with a sore throat and mild congestion. I'm still coughing icky things up. And there isn't a day that goes by that I don't have a sinus headache. I'm 26 years old and it just doesn't seem normal, especially since I didn't have this problem before. I know I should just go see a doctor but the last experience wasn't helpful or pleasant. And I don't know if maybe I'm making more of this than what it is.
Is it possible the roots went too deep and caused a mouth-sinus hole that was never treated? Wouldn't the dentist have seen that? Should I just get over it and continue to live with it?
I appreciate any advice and apologize for the drawn out story here.

-GA
iamtreehugger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote