View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Back to Work!! Round 2!

So i just had my second day back to work today. Im back 24 hours a week....which ends up being 2 - 12 hour shifts and this time during the day. Sadlly, i lost my position in my unit (i was a full time, night shift employee), and the day shift doesnt have an open position, so as i wait to find my permanent home and applying to all 5 Scripps Hospitals, my ICU is letting me pick up day shifts.

First of all....WHOA! Day shift is wayyyyyy different than nightshift. On so many good levels. Way busier, brighter with all the lights on, more people to talk to, more things to do.....but it seemed perfect for me. I didnt have time to get tired or focus on headaches popping up. But i didnt get a little one by the end of the day that was easily handled with ibuprofen.

It feels AMAZING to be back with my patients. I had a Neuro patient today for one of my patients and we did some major bonding. I think it helped him to know i have been there, that i took his pain and complaints to heart, and made sure to be there whenever he was scared, nervous, or in pain. I will be on 24 hrs/week until March 1st.

My neurologist was in today to see her patients and walked by me...did a double take, and grabbed me and was like "OMG, you're here!!! How do you feel? Any headaches?" I gave her my update and that i just started yesterday. last she was aware of, i lost my job and was looking. So it was a bit of a surprise for her to see me back in the unit. She sat and chatted with me and made sure i was ok with all my partial disability paperwork, meds, concerns, etc. It just validates how amazing she is and how much her care and concern have helped me get to where i am today. So lucky to have her!

Im feeling very positive that i will be successful with this return to work. I now have a better way of handling my headaches with minor OTC pain meds and healing touch for my headaches. I am going to make sure i rest appropriately in between shifts, definetly only working day shift from now on, and paying attention to my body and symptoms rather than working through them. So happy to be back to work!!!!
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-22-2012), tamisue (01-25-2012)