View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 09:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Exclamation Red Burning Feet or Hands: Erythromelgia

Hello All,

If anyone out there has painful (often characterized as a burning pain), red, warm feet or hands; and if cooling and elevation relieve that pain, you may have a condition called Erythromelalgia.

The diagnosis is clinical, that is, there is no blood test for the disorder. Talk to your MD (I am NOT an MD, and you will need an MD to diagnose and treat this disorder).

but... Good news folks- it can most often be treated. Do a search under "The Erythromelalgia Association". Your MD can access free medical jounal articles at that site.

I was (unfortunately) practically the poster-child for this disorder. This was due to the fact that I have three major tissue destroying disorders (MS, CIDP {a type of Neuropathy} and Sjogrens). When ever tissue is destroyed in the body, Erythromelalgia can develop.

It's symptoms can range from rosey feet or hands with an uncomfortable sensation of warmth in the extremity all the way to bright red extremities that feel like they are on fire.

I had a rough time with this in the late 1990's, but there are many treatments available today.

Best wishes,

Cal
Cal1700 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote