View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgies View Post
OMG - how depressing is that to read! Having just about (I thought) come to terms with my husband's diagnosis just over two years ago, to read something like this is so demoralising. I feel back to square one again - absolutely terrified of the future and depressed beyond words.
That was my reaction too, very depressing, but when I think about all the PWP I have been in touch with over the past 8 years... already 2 years past their "due date", I keep meeting people who have had it a lot longer than that. That's anecdotal and not scientific... but I wonder if that study is truly about a cross-section of People With Parkinson's.... or is it a selected group in one particular category. For example, I know of a hospice caring for cancer patients.... and the ones in that hospice all seem to die, so is it more dangerous to be in that hospice? Well no, it's a place people go to for care near the very end. So their statistics don't show a success rate!
And the age of the patients in this study... mostly over 80 years old.. does that mean 80 at the time of diagnosis? Compared to what? Does the average male reach the age of 80? Or 86?
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote