View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 03:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Treating Erythromelalgia (Red Burning Extremities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Welcome to NeuroTalk:

Please do tell us what works for you.
I had a much more severe case of Erythromelalgia than most people, but the danger is that the red, burning hands and feet will gradually get worse over time, which happened with me.

Medical journal articles indicate that the best bet is to make sure to treat the underlying problem- such as the MS, or treating the Arthritis, etc.

What worked for me was:

1) Neurontin in large doses to treat the burning pain. This is probably the most significant drug to treat Erythromelalgia.

2) Diltiazem, which is a calcuim channel blocker.

3) Intervenous Immune Globulin (to treat my CIDP based neuropathy).

4) Magnesium in large doses. (The diareah that accompanies the ingestion of Magnesium can be averted with the use of acidophollis products.) Note that this magnesium treatment was later the subject of a Medical Journal Article. That study indicated that Magnesium was successfull in the useful in treating Erythromelalgia.

The Erythrmelalgia Association (TEA) has a good sized library of literature on treating this disorder which is available for free to their members. TEA is a non-profit organization. The membership fee is tax deductible.

Treatments that work are variable based on the individual's own condition.

In general, Neurontin, followed by the anti-depressant Zoloft or Effexor seem to have the most likely chance of improving the person affected by the condition of the person, and will often provide the sufferer with near remission or better.

Best wishes,

Karl
Cal1700 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote