View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 11:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

((((((Melody)))))),

I don't have diabetic neuropathy so I can't really "sound like an expert" on that. What I do have is neuropathy caused by a blood condition -->> MGUS. My hands and feet, fingers and toes, and forearms and lower legs are all affected to varying degrees.

In my case, I think the neuropathy is sort of like a bad connection. Some days, the sensation is "off" -- everything just feels weird -- touching things feels different -- sometimes cold things feel slimy. Other days, the pain is horrendous. I've been taking Effexor XR and for me that pretty much keeps the 'horrendous" at bay.

I think you're on to something with thinking that the vibrating tool set something off. The sensation was probably so intense that it *demanded* that your nerves wake and pay attention. To my way of thinking, that probably means that any *STRONG* sensation is going to get through and be felt much more intensely. It's probably the nuances that aren't getting through. That's one reason why I started using a cane, 'cause I was having trouble telling where my feet "really where" although I could walk OK.

I'm like you relative to the testing. If you already know, why bother?? I sort of suspect that testing on you would set everything off just like the vibrating tool did. They wanted to do a sural nerve biopsy on me -- I figured why kill a nerve just to tell me something I already know.

I imagine that as long as you work with your doctor and you stay on top of everything by keeping yourself educated about what to watch out for, you're probably fine. But, that's the nerve-test-chicken in me talking

Hugs.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote