View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72daywmn View Post
Ok, so I'm here to find info about the best possible options for pain relief for sciatica/neuropathy/possibly fibromyaliga

To make a long story shorter (somewhat) , work injury left me with moderate to excruciating pain in low back down right leg, with reduced sensation in right foot.

The pain is like a very hard constant ache in my lower right back, buttock and right leg to the ankle. It seems sometimes if I stretch just right, I can take some pressure off my low back, but then the leg is worse and my foot/lower leg go numb or pins & needles. On the other hand, if I stretch out the leg, to try to relieve that pain, the back is worse; can't win.

We've tried PT for my calf with no success, I used to take Neurontin for unrelated trigeminal neuralgia and headaches before this happened, and it worked for a while then had to be doubled, then doubled again, until it made me fall asleep if I stayed still for more than 30 seconds, so I quit taking it.
For this back and leg pain, I take hydrocodone 7.5/500 3-4x daily, ultram 100mg 3-4x daily (I was taking the ultram for trigeminal neuralgia before this happened) and have tried Lyrica which made me suicidal and looking for a fight with my partner and kids, so it's been added to my 'allergy' list.

I've been interested in a TENS unit and/or ultrasound therapy, but without knowing anything about them or really how to use them, I'm scared; plus I don't know what brands, etc are the best if they do work?

I sit on heating pads 12-18 hrs a day, and have burns on my back and buttocks (and skin changes from them) because the heat is about the only thing that offers minor relief.

I'm getting nowhere with doctors and lawyers and insurance reps and physician assistants and I hoped someone here could offer the wisdom of their experiences. Please?
Am sorry to read this. I was diagnosed with acute sciatica from spinal stenosis 6 years ago. I found an aqua therapiast who taught me to water jog in the pool and to just hang on the side of the pool which decompresses my spine. It takes the pain away in the water. It has waxed and waned all of this time and now I have an acute flare up which is sending me over the edge with the pain.I am on neurontin and a muscle relaxant and now Vicodin, not helping, and PTwho is teaching me stabilization,not doing much and so I am going to try Reiki and am seeing a LISW Mind over back pain. However I drag myself to the pool daily for one hour and that really helps. I am slated for 2 epidurals in Feb. I am fighting back surgery. Seen too many bad outcomes. I use a tens machine that works a bit and a brace sometimes.
I am so depressed with this latest attack the pain is all consuming and pushing my BP up. I have gone to a chiro but it seemed to make it worse.
Better days have to be ahead for both of us. Have not tried ice too much.
Other than drugs what else have you considered?
Frances R.Kluter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote