View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Have they done a HEAD MRI? with or without contrast? Have you had a lumbar puncture done? While yes, it is true that the contrast will light up NEW lesions or ones that are ACTIVE old lesions and healing lesions would have shown without contrast.

To have lesions in your head AND in your spine cements a diagnosis of MS regardless of how many lesions you have. If you count on just the head MRI most MDs wants a count of 9 to 13 to get you on the road.

Yes, we can have spinal issues and loads of other issues with or without MS on top of it. I have a brain tumor, and I have a fracture of L4 and L5 that has healed well without bulges. I have the MS hug with is supposed to come from a spinal lesion, but thus far, none have shown on my spinal MRI.

That leads me to strength of the machine itself. Most open MRIs are a strength of 1. Most closed MRIs are 1.5 to 2 in strength and some centers now have 3 and even 5 is coming. The higher the number the more powerful the machine, and the more likely it is to pick up lesions and all kinds of other wonderful stuff that may scare you to pieces. So, what may not appear on a 1 may light up like a Christmas tree on a 3. Ask your center if they have a 3 available for your next scan. If not, then at least you will be comparing apples to apples when they read it.

I know you want a label, and for someone to finally end this nightmare and let you know that you are not crazy, drug seeking, whining or just a baby, but for most of us getting a diagnosis is a long term process. Hang in there.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
karilann (01-26-2012), SallyC (01-23-2012)