View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Workout food

Unfortunately there is so much confusion these days about what is good or bad for you, and most of that is allied with manufacturers promoting their products and rubbishing all else.

You really need to do some reading and find out just how bad it all is and how we are being lied to.
Sounds ominous, but as they say, follow the money trail.

Read the Cholesterol Myth and others. Read Gary Taubes' The Diet Delusion. Read Eat Fat, Lose Fat. These will shock and amaze you when you realise how we have been lied to. And they give some good diet advice, though you still have to tread your own path with what works for you.

Eggs are one of the best foods, full of nutrients. If any part is not so good, it's actually the whites!
I have 2 eggs most days myself, for breakfast, with wholemeal sourdough bread that I make and freeze.
Dairy is another group that has been badly treated by vested interests pushing alternative products or highly processed ones.
Always use full fat dairy.
The low fat milk is really very highly processed nutrient free skim milk. Nothing good left in it.
Low fat yoghurt is filled with sugar and has more calories than full fat, and is not good for anyone.
Margarine is made from highly processed oils, high temperature, and known to be very bad for you, as trans fats.
The whole fat thing is another area taken over by manufacturers.
Cholesterol levels are actually suggested by the drug makers, who provide the appropriate test results, and the medicos go along with it as it's just too hard to fight them.

Did you know that cholesterol is vital to you, your brain is partly made from it, and your body makes it?
Low levels are bad for your health, too.
As many die from low cholesterol as they do from high, and there is no proven link between high cholesterol and heart disease or artery blocking.

I'd suggest a bit of protein with some quality carbs. My daughter makes fruit smoothies for breakfast, using coconut cream, water and ice, and frozen berries. That might work for you. Berries of any type are very good, and coconut milk and cream are some of the best fats for you.
Hope this rant helps!

Peter B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote