View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 11:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_S View Post
On sweet potatoes -- I just scrub them, cut off any blemishes, and bake them in the oven. But I tend to eat very simple foods, and many people would perhaps find my food a little less than exciting...

You can also slice pre-baked sweet potatoes and fry them gently, sprinkled with cinnamon.

A friend of mine suggested cutting them like home-fries and baking them in a really hot (475-degree) oven until they "puff" -- I haven't tried that yet.

--------

I'm curious about the paleo and primal diets, but I have a reservations. I tend toward more plant foods (high in anti-oxidants and phytochemicals) and away from high-protein animal foods. Partly, I intend to live longer than the (probable) 40-year lifespan of a prehistoric hunter-gatherer, so I think I ought to be watching out for late-life killers like heart disease -- which might, just might, suggest limiting those animal foods.

But what works for you is best! I certainly won't discourage you! As my health-educator beloved says, you will be healthier on almost ANY diet because you will pay attention to what you eat!
Both diets are hight in veggies and the only meat Primal discusses and encourages is grass fed, all natural no preservatives. He does do a very interesting study on all of it and it makes a lot of common sense. Of course he is saying how the grains have been a problem along with sugar. It is worth a read and to use the parts that you like or don't like . I've not finished reading it yet but will then digest the parts i am goinf to use to see how it goes.
pinehurstcharlie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote