Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Wink no other medication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Since Christmas I have been following the approach that the swings in L-dopa supply to our brains are themselves a problem and possibly even destructive as they stress the system with a constant roller coaster effect. Since our bodies seem to be trying to maintain a steady state it makes sense IMHO to try for the same.
As a result, I have gone from taking a single sinemet 10/100 plus a single sinemet CR 50/200 every two hours (total Ldopa 2400 mg daily but no other meds) to taking two sinemet CR 50/200 every three hours (total Ldopa 2400 mg daily with no other meds).
I feel that there have been some definite improvements. I have almost no "off" time and the freezing that comes with it, for example. I wake up in a little better condition than before and have less difficulty wobbling from bed to the bridge of the SS Enterprise ( ). Greater stability throughout the day. And, if I resist the temptation to skip the 9:00 PM dose, I stand a good chance of making it to bed without frightening my wife.

Has anyone compared these two approaches and can it be sustained?

not amantadine? bob i can't see anyone getting thru life with pd without amantadine. lol i only take 25/100s regular every two hours and am rarely off unless i forget or eat too much. if i have obligations to attend to or an exercise class i take extra. [this you could NOT do in the rehab facility ]

Rick it sounds like you are doing similar meds but you don't get dyskinesia? no other meds? - i'll check your list. what has changed to make it better for you to write the post? my worst symptom is my balance. sometimes it's just not there on right side. I was walking and talking on the phone today and i fell- can't multi task when walking. it was my first fall since the fracture but a soft landing. able to go without a walker some of the time but my balance is a pd symptom, not from the fracture. i wonder if it was a benefit for it to happen because now i have a metal reinforcement in my affected hip and can drive and exercise better than before.

when i took CR, or any other dopaminergic drugs, MAO inhibitors, agonists, comtan, selegiline, stalevo - anything at all, i get dyskinetic.i would encourage anyone to ask their doctor about dropping some of the dopamine drugs and concentrate on regulating the other tramsmitters,

which I feel the other drugs are doing. anxiety is bad [xanax - low dose] enhances GABA; nortriptyline - anticholinergic that boosts NOREPENEPHRINE and may help to regulate ACEPTYLCHOLINE. Clonazepam for anxiety, antiseizure, enhances GABA, which took away my rambling speech and helps my mouth to stay more relaxed. It 's a circuitry that includes all the neurotransmitters so our medications need to reflect that.

Today on a conference call we made some analogies. Remember if one light was out on a string of Christmas lights , they might still work but if multiple lights were out the whole string was useless. Or if an appliance blows a fuse it takes out half of the house appliances but not all of them, leaving some usefulness. we don't blow fuses much anymore except in older house . but protein "circuit blow out" is on the rise. No electricity, no power.

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote