View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 04:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Dahlek, Do you have to stop work completely at a certain age in the USA ? our retirement age for men is 65 but you can keep going if you want to, i know 2 blokes that still work full time at 68, 69, if the boss still wants you and you feel fit enough, why not ? even on a part time basis as it seems like a huge waste of experience not being used up.
I had to retire due to med problems but much earlier than i wanted to, after 5 attempts of trying to return back to work, i eventually had to admit i just couldn't do it anymore, i had a great boss too that understood and really tried to help me a lot, but thats the way it goes sometimes.
The first few weeks of not having to set the alarm and waking up naturally felt real good, after working mostly 12 hours days / 6 days a week / sometimes a couple of months of 7 days a week, year after year.
When i stopped work, i didn't have a clue what i was going to do during the day, i was on really strong pain meds which limited me heaps but i found that i could still do things i wanted to do, except driving [ because of the meds] but it just took me a lot longer than it used to.
I'm sure he will find plenty things to do, and appreciate all the extra time he has to do it with once retired, a lot depends on what he likes doing himself.
These days for me, there isn't enough hours in a day to do want i want to do, and i don't know now were i found the time to go to work beforehand

Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote