View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 08:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default First rib resection and scalenectomy

I am one year out from this surgery. My experience was it was truly a breeze. I feel lucky, given the other folks experiences.

The only hiccup was the first 24 hours after surgery. Apparently my lung got nicked or some such, and they were very interested in my ability to take deep breaths. I had this little plastic device that I had to blow in about every hour as deeply as I could.

Went home afternoon of the day after the surgery. Was weak and etc, but mostly from the anesthesia. There was swelling, etc. as with all surgeries. But, actually, since they were just taking something out, and not having to repair anything, it was remarkably easy to recover from.

I have gotten so much advice from forums before I decided to have the surgery. So, I'll offer here to answer any questions folks may have who are suffering from TOS. After suffering 20 years with numb hand etc., this is the ONLY thing that has helped. I would say I have about 75% improvement. Strengthening my shoulder seems to help the rest of the way.
whitedianthus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cyclist (07-02-2014), Ldraper (02-11-2012)