View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joojee22 View Post
Why would Butran cause dehydration?
I spoke with my physical therapist and she said that pain meds cause dehydration and I am thinking the headache is from the dehydration caused by the Butrans? Seems to be working since I started drinking more water no headache so far...
I don't know that Butran, or pain meds, do necessarily cause dehydration. Some people get opioid-induced edema, which is retention of water. Dehydration or dry mouth (and headache) do come up as known side effects of many pain medications (including Butran), but the frequencies I've seen have been in the 5-10% range. Opioid pain medications do cause constipation, but from partial paralysis of the stomach, decreasing peristalsis, reducing digestive secretions, etc. Dehydration could certainly cause constipation, and drinking more water is advised to patients with opioid-induced constipation, but constipation doesn't necessarily mean dehydration.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/info...nstipation.php

Headaches from opioids usually fade within a few days as the body adjusts to the medication.

Palpitations are also a known side effect, but could also be more serious; I'd call your doctor about that.

Dehydration will cause a headache - that's pretty much what a hangover is.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cath1 (01-26-2012)