Thread: I am new
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 03:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome to the forum. This is definitely the place to be, my experience is that you will find more useful information here on your particular difficulties than you will get from almost any doctor.

Quote:
I am trying hard to fake being well so I can move on.
Most of us, including me, have made this mistake so don't think I am criticising you. You can't move on by faking being well, only by actually getting better. Since getting better involves giving your brain the rest it needs, faking being well will actually make you worse. I was able to unconvincingly fake being well for a week or two before I was overwhelmed.

The problem is that because we can't see our injury, noone else seems to understand it and often our own insight is affected, in the beginning we don't quite believe in the reality of what has happened. We think that if we just fake being well for long enough it will somehow magically disappear. If you were walking around on a broken leg trying to pretend that you were ok you would only be making it worse, and it's the same with the demands you are making on your injured brain.

Sounds to me like you need more time off work, so I'd advise you to stop faking and start healing. You may find that your employer is more understanding than you think - if not then you'll get by somehow and your brain is more important than your job. Before my injury I would have gotten really stressed about the idea of losing my job - never again. When you've experienced the terror of being trapped in a brain that doesn't work properly nothing else seems scary anymore.

Others will have more to add but my advice would be:-

Rest, including cognitive rest (so not much TV, stimulating music, and no computer games.) Audiobooks are a good way to pass the time. Sleep as much as you can. This includes being off work for as long as you need it.

Nutrition, have lots of antioxidants (fruits and veg, especially bright or dark coloured fruits like blueberries) and fish oils. Avoid saturated fats and MSG.

Avoid caffeine and DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL even if you think you are better (many of us seem to have had devastating relapses by doing this).

I found this article very useful both for my own understanding and for convincing others that I am not making it up or being a hypochondriac:-

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/183/4/276.full

Also watch the 'You look great!' youtube series.

Best wishes!

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-26-2012)