View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanabill View Post
Okay, Ballerina, here are the full details:

We are delivering the standard 2.0 mAMP for 20 minutes, resulting in a total dose of 40 mAMP minutes. She tolerates this okay.

We are using anodal stimulation (I incorrectly wrote cathodal stimulation in prior post), with the red (positive) lead over the right motor cortex (contralateral to the area of her worst pain, on the left side of her coccyx/perineal region), and black (negative) lead at the left supra-orbital position. Everything I've read suggests anodal stimulation of the motor cortex to be most efficacious for chronic pain.

We are using the following system components to deliver the current:

1) Iomed Phoresor II Auto iontophoresis device

2) 3" x 3" Amrex rubber pad w/ sponge insert (actually 2" x 2" contact surface with skin; 25.8 cm2)

3) pin to banana pin adaptors (to insert into the rubber pad)

4) (3) snap to pin converters (to connect between the electrophoresor's wires and the pin to banana pin adaptor)

I bought these >2 years ago, and tried to list the websites I purchased them from (still valid)**edit**

Again, my question is simple: are you finding a lead position that works better than that which we are using? If so, what is it, if I may ask? I hope you have continued to experience improvement.
Hi Iguanabill,

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. It sounds as if your wife is not going to respond to this protocol. I had a moderately good response to anodal stimulation of the motor cortex (c3) but many people don't and assume that they are not responders to tDCS.

I have had a better response to anodal stimulation of the motor cortex and secondary somatosensory cortices (M1 and S2.)

To place the electrodes for this protocol place the anode (red) over the auditory canal, just above the ear (contralateral to painful limb.) Be sure the top of the ear does not become caught under the electrode. Ditto for hair. Place the cathode (black) above the opposite eye.

Additionally, the literature suggests five days on and two days off, but I believe the primary reason is that researchers don't work on weekends. I go straight through with treatment twice a day, twenty minutes each until I plateau in terms of relief. I am still working out a booster protocol that works well for me. I will post when I have tweaked it.

I am also experimenting with additional protocols. Will report on successes and failures for the benefit of all.

Hope your wife gets some relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ballerina; 01-27-2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: correction
ballerina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote