10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberube View Post
Thanks Ballerina for the link!
Btw I contacted one of the Doctors **

And wanted to share his response:

--Begin Paste
Dear Steve,

60-70% of patients respond to tDCS. This has been my experience which is similiar to to that of the published studies. The problem with quoting this statistic is that studies utilizing tDCS for CRPS have small patient populations. In addition, studies using tDCS for chronic pain include patients with CRPS, but you really can't extrapolate the results for CRPS, because results may be skewed by the different conditions treated. The duration of relief provided by 5-10 treatments is about 3 months, when tDCS needs to be repeated.

Finally, non-responders to the protocol used for treatment may respond to a different protocol or to a longer period of treatment. Currently, there are 3 locations which can be stimulated to provide pain relief. These can inhibit pain, reduce sensitivity to pain and decrease the emotional component to pain.

I have used tDCS for patients having spinal cord stimulators. There is additional pain relief when tDCS is added.

Individual case reports of patients with severe pain treated with tDCS for longer periods document greater pain relief -up to 60% reduction. Most tDCS protocols still use 5-10 treatments.

I hope this information is helpful.
--End Paste

[
This quote sounds like Jim Fugedy. Am I right?

As regards the length of time pain relief is provided I offer my experiences. When I first had tDCS at Beth Israel one year ago my relief began to slowly wear off and was gone by about three months. When I began in November the positive effects came to an abrupt halt when I got a minor infection. I am currently treating twice a day for twenty minutes and will do so for at least another week. Since I don't want the slow wear off thing or the abrupt halt I will be treating once a day every three days for a week and then once a day every five days to see how far that takes me.

I will share how well this works for me.
ballerina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote