View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 02:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebus View Post
*edit*
I guess I've never really noticed it till now, but since I've been paying attention I noticed I have really bad posture when I sit. And by that I mean I like poke my head out towards what I'm looking at and dont put my back against the backrest. I do keep my shoulders at a good level though, I don't droop them. But still, doesn't seem like anything that major, and I especially don't get why it could cause me a problem like this at age 25.
That's a huge no-no. It's called "forward head posture". You can search the web for it and you'll get all kinds of hits like "correcting forward head posture" and "signs of poor posture". You won't get any hits saying it's okay.

The problem is that your head weighs more that you realize; close to a bowling ball. You're straining your upper back side muscles and lengthening them. Meanwhile your front side muscles atrophy, shorten and therefore tighten.

You should correct this ASAP. It's never going to help you and only going to hurt you.

Another way to look at is like this: You want balanced posture so that your muscles have to work less and so that they can all participate in the balancing act of keeping that bowling ball in place.

Also, you may be jutting forward due to eyesight. If you haven't had an eye exam in awhile, get one. And if you're eyesight isn't good, you can either get the glasses/contacts/whatever or try one of those programs for improving eyesight (search amazon and the web) through exercises and nutrition.

HTH
chroma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote