Thread: RSD in the neck
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Oh wow...I am SO sorry to hear what you are going through. I have RSD in my neck but it was not the result of surgery. It spread there after I had a lumbar sympathetic block last January. It is not fun.

I don't really know what to advise you to do because I know that any surgery is risky with RSD because of the possibility of spread. BUT...RSD won't kill you (though sometimes it feels like it will). I don't really know the severity of what you are dealing with (it SOUNDS serious) or what the risks are for NOT having the surgery. I think you need to weigh those risks against the risk of RSD spread to your neck and really try to decide what you want to go with.

I know there are some things you can do to minimize the risk of spread when having any kind of surgery because there are just some surgeries that you may HAVE to have in your life. I know getting a sympathetic block is usually recommended prior to having the surgery but unfortunately do not know much more than that. I am sure one of the other members can advise you about the things to do to minimize spread risk during surgery...hope they do at least.

It isn't a guarantee that it will spread if you have the surgery...just a risk that it very well could happen. I think whether or not you should do it really depends on what the other options are and what will happen if you DON'T have the surgery. Does that make sense?

I really am very sorry to hear what you are going through and hope someone jumps in real soon with some more specific information about the steps you can take if you decide to go ahead with the surgery. Feel better and good luck!
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote