View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 06:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspennyloafer View Post
i have read this book and while it was great, the nerve glides in it shouldve put me in the hospital (i didn't go bc no ins). i actually wouldn't advise for anyone who suspects they have tos to do the exercises, nerve glides or strengthening without seeing a PT and even then 90 percent of the time the pts are untrustworthy!!
I found the following comments from a brief paper on nerve gliding to be interesting:

"When attempting to glide a nerve, it is important to put one side on slack before pulling in the opposite direction (Fig. 1)."

"Simultaneous neck bending and scapular elevation is usually painful in patients with TOS. Painful exercises should be avoided initially because they may aggravate the patient’s symptoms, and they will be introduced as soon as feasible."

http://intraspec.ca/PIIS0749071203000908.pdf

They claim that if one side is not on slack you are stretching the nerve rather than gliding it.

What's your impression, mspennyloafer? Were you doing a stretch instead? Did you bend the neck and elevate the scapula at the same time?

Btw I'm not disagreeing with your advice. Even the book says on page xii to see a medical practitioner.
chroma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mspennyloafer (01-30-2012)